Saturday, July 14, 2012

Saying Goodbye...

Good byes feel a lot like there's been a death in the family. You'll be doing something ordinary like loading the dishwasher and a stupid coffee mug willake you start crying your eyes out. It wasn't just any coffee mug. It was the sole surviving coffee mug that I bought with my best friend from high school, Donna. I waited seven years to buy coffee mugs that match my kitchen. And just in late April of this year while I was out with Donna shopping that I would finally buy new mugs. I even joked that now that I finally was buying matching mugs we would probably end up moving. At the time I had no inclination at all that a huge move was lingering on the horizon. We laughed about it and finished checking out. Just a few short weeks later I had to call her and let her know that the coffee mug prophecy was, in fact, coming true. From that point we knew today would come. Our last simple spur of the moment, what are ya doing today kinda visit. Today wasn't goodbye it was merely see ya later and I know this because our friendship has endured decades of separation.

We met when she was in 8th grade and I was in 9th. She played trumpet and I played trombone in our high school band. I think our meeting probably involved eye rolling over some nonsense we were made to do because we were famous for our eye rolling back then. If it wasn't eye rolling then it was note passing. She was there for me through thick and thin. Through broken hearts and high school drama. We had our own little tiffs but nothing that ever separated us for long. Not until we went our separate ways for college. After that she moved to Montana and I got married. Had it not been for Facebook we might still have been wondering what ever happened to the other. Three years ago we found each other on Facebook and never looked back. It was as though nothing had changed. That's true friendship when you meet up after 15 years and things are like you never missed a day. Of course, things have changed a little now we just plot trouble and don't ever carry out the plans. Our most naughty thing to do is go shopping at the Christmas tree shop. Yes, that is what happens to you as you age. You plot mustard balloon atttacks and go shopping instead. We both have boys the same age and hope that they will remain life long friends as we have managed to do. Like that lone surviving coffee mug our friendship will last through every mismatched kitchen we own because with real friends it doesn't matter what the mug looks like it only matters who is drinking from it. Love ya girly!

No comments:

Post a Comment